View Syllabus Bachelor of Technology (CSE)
About the Course
The Department of Computer Science Engineering is a part of SIET started in 2007 affiliated to Kurukshetra and approved by AICTE. As far as Department is concerned, academic standards and placements are the two key parameters. Our academic standards have been achieved by intellectual property of our faculty. The faculty strives to foster and encourage a teaching methodology that is both practical and theoretical in approach. This approach hasled to successful training and placements. The reason why students select Computer Science Engineering is not only because of the physical infrastructure, which is all there, but because of the soft factors also. Soft factors like our approach to academics, our intellectual property, training and placement. The quality of academic instructions, conduct guidelines and college activities are designed to produce competent and successful engineers. The focus is on preparing professional engineers. As is said "an engineer is for today, while a professional engineer is forever".
While seeking admission in Engineering the biggest question before everyone is the choice of branch. And we at Shivalik Group of Institutions will definitely answer this common question. As we progress the scope of computers will also increase. There is no chance of decrease. This recession only will come as an advantage for future generations because at the time of recession companies think new technologies as per the need. So it seems that the use of computer is decreasing but in actual practice, the use of computers will increase in coming years and recession will play an important role in this scenario. In the recession, people will come up with cheap software solutions for large as well as small scale industries. These demands will make the usage of the computer even in small countries of the of the world and we will be more self-dependent and work towards the progress of Nation.
Laboratory: Computer Science
Computer Science Department has following labs for enhancing practical knowledge of students:
1. Fundamental of Computer and Programming in C (FCPC) Lab: A good basic knowledge is a strong foundation for every aspect. FCPC has been included in the course curriculum to provide the basic knowledge of computers in the initial course module for every trade. FCPC lab contains volumes of latest and updated software. Here the ‘C’ language programming is practiced so as to inculcate among students a way to interact and understand the way a computer works. Many applications are written in C including the compilers for other programming languages.
2. Data Structure & Advanced Data Structure Lab: This lab serves as a guide for learning and implementing the data structure in a programming language. It basically deals with memory management and various other operations on data with algorithm analysis and design. It helps to implement the new algorithm or modify the existing ones according to the requirement. The Lab is well equipped with all advanced software for practical applications. The aim of the course is to teach students abstract data types and dynamic data structures. Students use the different type of data structures to model real world aggregations of data.
3. Database & Advanced Management System Lab: A database management system (DBMS) is computer application software that provides a way to manage data. The requirement of modern days is to have an automated system that manages, modifies and updates data accurately. This is achieved by a DBMS in the robust, correct and nonredundant way. DBMS lab aims at practicing and achieving this aim by using various software such as SQL, ORACLE, and MS – Access etc. All these require a thorough practice of various DDL, DCL, and DML queries.
4. Object Oriented Programming Lab: C++ is one of the most widely used programming languages. Its features (abstraction, encapsulation, data hiding etc) and flexibility have made it still the leading choice for most of the areas of application, especially in the software development environment. This lab emphasizes on the regular curriculum materials as well as some advanced real life applications implemented as practicals. These practicals, written in the spirit of learning by doing, are designed to give students working knowledge of the C++ programming language.
5. Java Programming Lab: The Java Programming Language is a generalpurpose, concurrent, strongly typed, classbased objectoriented language. The aim of this lab is to help students learn Java Programming step by step. It is compiled to the bytecode (platform independent code) instruction set and binary format defined in the Java Virtual Machine Specification. The latest Java Development Kit (JDK) has been installed with all the new features that support advanced programming. JAVA has always been the best choice for most of the mobile applications.
6. Computer graphics Lab: This lab provides students a found understanding of basic concepts of computer graphics and the need for developing graphic applications. Progress in this field is attained by interactivity, realism, and flexibility. The Computer Graphics Lab focuses on research in curve and surface design, rendering, perception, and user interfaces. In this lab, the student understands and learn the need of developing graphic applications, the concept of color generation, representation, and transformation of graphical images and pictures and algorithmic development of graphic primitives.
7. Computer Networks Lab: Networking is a key area in the field of computers that deals with the physical connectivity of computers which is coordinated and monitored by a combination of special hardware and software. The course curriculum provides the coverage of basics to advanced applications and services while providing a platform for handson practical experience and softskills enhancement. Covering the networking concepts, the lab work consists of a topdown, theoretical, and integrated approach.
8. UNIX and LINUX Programming Lab: UNIX and LINUX programming lab introduce an overview and use of UNIX and LINUX operating system. The students are familiarized with Unix/Linux commands, vi editor, Bash shell to develop simple shell programs, development of advanced shell programs using grep, grep & grep etc. the lab work also emphasises on creation and maintenance of user accounts, lead package installation, taking backups, creation of scripts for file and user management, creation of startup and shutdown scripts using at, corn etc.
9. Visual Programming Lab: Visual Basic provides an environment called the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that provides a platform for visual programming. With the user diversion towards graphical user interfaces, computer programming languages are also changing. Visual Basic is graphical user interface programming language which has a bulk of inbuilt user-friendly tools for understanding programming language concepts. Visual Basic helps to enhance the intellectual and motor skills of students. The course content is designed to understand and implement the event driven requirement of user and providing a solution via Visual Basic Programming
10. Object Oriented S/W System Design Lab using UML: UML is a language that understands, specifies, constructs and documents the requirements of a software-intensive system. The basic aim of this is to create a detailed understanding of the OOPS concepts with their application in UML along with mapping to various programming languages.It provides a way to represent the software-intensive system in a standardized manner. In software development, UML is utilized to create the logical general view of software.
Other Computer Science Engg. Labs
- Multimedia Lab
- Computer Hardware Technology Lab
- Software Engg. Lab
- Operating System Lab
- Web Engineering Lab
- Internet Fundamental Lab
Programming fundamentals / Database Systems / Internet Web Programming / Software practice and Testing / Image Processing / Data Communication / Cryptography & Networking / Distributed Computing.
Opertunities are there in the field of IT Consulting, Solution Development and Design Engineering. One may opt for Network administrator, IT Manager. Students can go in Hardware and Software fields.
He/She should have passed the 10+2 examination conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education or equivalent examination from a recognized board in Science stream with an overall aggregate of 45%.