View Syllabus Bachelor of Technology (ME)
About the Course
Mechanical Engineering, the broadest of all Engineering disciplines deals with design and production of tools, machines and all other mechanical equipment to be used in the industries. The industry offers a wide
choice of options extending across many interdisciplinary interdependent specialties. Mechanical engineering is concerned with all types of machinery in industries and all aspects of their mechanism and
functioning? the design, development, construction, production, installation, operation and maintenance. They not only design and create new products, but also develop materials for them and ways of making them. The work of Mechanical Engineer can be extremely challenging and fulfilling, requiring IT, design and analytical skills together with an ability to work as a team.
Mechanical Engineering finds application in all fields of technology. They could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types, and their work varies from industry to
industry. With the rapid rate of expansion in the industrial sector, the employment potential for mechanical engineers is very high. In the government sector, freshers could join as Junior Engineers and go up the
ladder as Assistant Engineers, Assistant Executive Engineers, Executive Engineers, and Superintendent Engineers and so on. These Engineers are required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining, technical wings of armed forces, space research organization, etc. Candidates with post graduate degree or an additional management degree could find work in administrative and managerial
positions in government departments or public and private sector industries or do research as well as teaching in Research and teaching institutes. They could also opt for technical sales/ marketing or work as
independent consultants. Several government departments including Posts and Telegraphs, Defense, PWD, and CPWD employ mechanical engineers. Aeronautical, agricultural, automobile, chemical, and power
plants, as well as the railways, need mechanical engineers to design and maintain their machinery. In agricultural sector, mechanical engineers play a vital role by establishing service centers for maintenance of
tractors, oil engines, pump sets, electric motors and other agricultural equipments.
Laboratory: Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Department has following labs:
1. Strength of Material: The strength of materials deals with the study of materials used in structural applications. In this laboratory, students are provided with the opportunity to apply loads to various materials under different equilibrium conditions and keep deformation within acceptable limits. Tests on materials in tension, torsion, bending, and buckling are also performed. Material behavior is monitored during testing and for any type of
destructive testing, fracture zone and material behavior observations are a key element
2. Fluid mechanics: This practical work determines the viscosity and mass density of an unknown fluid. Viscosity is that property of fluid which provides an indication of the resistance to shear within a fluid. A stopwatch is usedto determine readings on a viscometer and hence note the rate of drop of various spheres within the fluid. The laboratory work includes a close and deep examination of the theoretical analysis of fluid dynamics.
3. Heat Transfer Lab: Heat transfer has various aspects such as conduction, convection and radiation. This lab aims at providing practical indepth knowledge about various modes of Heat transfer in same metals, different metal and water. The equipments in the lab are used to calculate heat transfer coefficient and constants. The lab work includes Determination of Electiveness of a Heat exchanger, Determination of StefanBoltzmann constant, Performance of Solar still, Determination of critical heat flux, Performance of solar water heater etc.
4. Kinematics of Machine/Dynamics of Machine Lab: Kinematics deals with the motion of points, bodies and systems of bodies. Motion in kinematics is defined as study of trajectories of points, lines and other geometric objects and their differential properties. Kinematics is used in astrophysics to describe the motion of celestial bodies. The lab work includes determining modulus of rigidity, value of coefficient of friction, displacement, velocity and acceleration by shaft etc.
5. Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Lab: Refrigeration is a part and parcel of everyday life. This lab provides knowledge about different needs, uses and working of Refrigeration and AirConditioning. The lab work includes study of various vapour compression refrigeration cycles, various performance parameters on blower apparatus and cooling tower .the practical knowledge aims at complete grasping up of various devices with their use and working
6. Computer aided design and manufacturing Lab: This lab helps students to inculcate the fundamentals of applications of computers in various stages of design, analysis and manufacturing of components. CAD/CAM lab is equipped with advanced software and hardware. The 3D models are designed with innovation using ProEngineer and various other mechanical engineering softwares like AutoCAD etc.
7. Production Technology Lab: It teaches the advanced manufacturing process in Mechanical and Production engineering. It basically deals with the process of chip formation. The Advanced Manufacturing Processes provide a pathway the Mechanical engineers in various industrial situations. This lab work covers areas of Milling, Gear hobbing, grinding, working of CNC, lathe machine and boring etc.
Other Mechanical Engineering Labs are:
- Thermodynamics Lab
- Thermal Engineering
- Tribology & Machine Vibration Lab
- Industrial Engg. Lab
Engineering Thermo Dynamics/ComputerAided Machine Drawing/Kinematics of Machinery/Turbo Machine/Design of Transmission Systems/Internal Combustion Engines/Mechanical Vibration/Refrigeration
and Air Conditioning/Automobile Engineering.
Opportunities exist in the area of Automobiles, Aerospace, Power Sector, Robotics. Graduates can opt for position in Indian Railways, NTPC, ONGC, SAIL, DRDO, ISRO, BARC and other Research and Development
He/She should have passed the 10+2 examination conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education or equivalent examination from a recognized board in Science stream with an overall aggregate of 45%.